Dilworth School investigation: The Crown cases against a man who will no longer go to trial

A former Dilworth scout leader who died before facing two separate trials was accused of giving students drugs at his Auckland home before indecently assaulting them.

In one case the Crown claimed the complainant had consumed alcohol and cannabis “until he passed out” and later awoke to a sex act.

Richard Charles Galloway had denied all accusations of historical sexual abuse but details of the Crown’s cases against him have been released by the court.

Galloway, 69, died on November 26 last year after being earlier diagnosed with cancer.

He had been a long-serving volunteer and staff member of New Zealand’s gay, lesbian and transgender telephone counselling service Outline.

In the 1970s, he was scout leader associated with the Dilworth School chapter and also involved in the school diving team.

He was not employed in any other capacity with the school. He rented one of the houses in the corner of the sports grounds.

As a part of Operation Beverly, the police investigation into allegations of historical sexual abuse at Dilworth School, seven men were accused on different charges last year.

Among them, Galloway was accused of indecently assaulting a boy under the age of 16.

In the 70s, the teenage complainant was allegedly invited by a friend, another student about the same age, to go to Galloway’s house and watch pornographic movies, court documents released to the Herald show.

Galloway was either 26 or 27 at the time.

The movies were said to have been played from a projector in the lounge.

Galloway allegedly supplied the two children with alcohol, cannabis and amyl nitrate.

Amyl nitrate is commonly used for the treatment of angina and relaxes the muscles, according to the Crown’s summary of facts.

“Recreationally, it is used to enhance sexual experience or to experience a general sense of pleasure,” the court papers read.

Whilst the children were in an “euphoric state”, Galloway allegedly switched the heterosexual pornographic film to a homosexual one and began allegedly performing sex acts on them.

According to the Crown’s case the complainant “felt completely uncomfortable” and left.

The other child was allegedly being led by Galloway to a bedroom.

“None of the victims suffered physical injuries however the psychological impact has been immense,” the court papers read.

In a separate case involving Galloway, which was due to go to trial later this year, the Crown was again expected to pursue a case that he had supplied cannabis to a child.

The alleged offending – a charge of indecency between a man and boy – was said to have occurred in Galloway’s Epsom house in 1980.

The Crown’s summary said the complainant consumed alcohol and cannabis “until he passed out” and was put to bed in the spare bedroom.

At some point during the night the complainant allegedly woke to Galloway asking him to come into his bedroom to sleep with him.

Galloway was accused of doing this on four occasions.

In the last instance, Galloway allegedly pulled the bed covers off the complainant and led him to his bedroom.

“The complainant was still groggy from the alcohol and cannabis he had consumed earlier in the night,” the court papers read.

“The complainant fell asleep soon after being put in Mr Galloway’s bed.”

A short time later the complainant allegedly awoke to Galloway performing a sex act on him.

All charges were denied by Galloway, and having not reached trial, remain unproven in court. A stay of proceedings was issued in both cases.

His brother has previously told the Herald “he died with the presumption of innocence”.

– Additional reporting Amy Wiggins

Editor's note

It has been a shock for New Zealanders to learn that several former staff at Auckland’s Dilworth School have been charged with sex and drug offences against boys over more than three decades. We want you, our readers, to know that the Herald will follow this story wherever it leads. We have a team of journalists prepared to investigate and we want to hear from you. If you have any information please contact us at [email protected]

Murray Kirkness
NZ Herald Editor

Where to get help:

• If it’s an emergency and you feel that you or someone else is at risk, call 111.
• If you’ve ever experienced sexual assault or abuse and need to talk to someone call the confidential crisis helpline Safe to Talk on: 0800 044 334 or text 4334. (available 24/7)
• Male Survivors Aotearoa offers a range of confidential support at centres across New Zealand – find your closest one here.
• Mosaic – Tiaki Tangata: 0800 94 22 94 (available 11am – 8pm)
• Alternatively contact your local police station
• If you have been abused, remember it’s not your fault.

Source: Read Full Article