‘Did a child do this?’: Sadiq Khan’s new tube artwork by David Hockney mocked on Twitter

Sadiq Khan addresses possibility of a third London Mayor term

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

And even opticians Specsavers has waded into the row, posting a tart observation via its official account. The Mayor’s ‘Let’s do London’ campaign, launched this week, aims to attract staycationers to the capital as opening hours are extended at museums, galleries and music venues.

However, the public art installation unveiled at Piccadilly Circus, and shared on Twitter by Mr Khan, attracted a mixed reaction to say the least.

Mr Hockney’s design consists of a simplistic version of the world-famous tube logo in yellow and purple, including the name of the station itself, with the letter ’s’ apparently in the process of dropping off the end.

Mr Khan himself commented: “Brilliant work from David Hockney in Piccadilly—the first of a series of major art projects we’ve commissioned as part of our brand new #LetsDoLondon campaign. Lots more to come very soon! #DavidHockney.”

Seven year olds could have knocked this up with a few crayons

Nigel Adams

However, Mr Adams, Minister of State for Asia, lost little time in wading in, saying: “You’ve actually seriously commissioned this ‘major art project’?

“Presumably at no cost to the taxpayer as seven year olds could have knocked this up with a few crayons.”

Similarly, another user added: “It looks like the work of a six-year-old who ran out of space due to poor preparation. It looks very unprofessional.”

JUST IN: Tough luck Nicola! Boris can BAN IndyRef2 until 2034 says insider

Stephen Jones commented: “Sorry, but that is just a ridiculous waste of money for terrible art.”

Meanwhile, Specsavers simply posted: “See me.”

Other Twitter users also piled in with similarly caustic remarks.

DON’T MISS:
Nick Knowles savages Sadiq Khan’s ‘unfathomable’ actions toward police [REVEAL]
Sadiq Khan takes five-point lead in London mayoral election [SPOTLIGHT]
Khan back on top in ‘down to the wire’ London Mayor contest [INSIGHT]

Josh Scully said: “It looks awful, and I genuinely thought a child had done it.

“And to think of all the struggling local artists that could have really done something great with that commission.”

Joe Waghorne said: “Can just imagine the reaction in the room when you first got shown this?

“No one wanted to be the first to admit the emperor had no clothes so you all stood about going amazing!

“And now it’s Twitter’s job to be the little kid who points it out.”

Another said: “As the newly elected mayor, if taxpayers paid for this, I hope they remind you of it every time you say there’s no money for crime prevention, roads, housing etc….”

One Twitter user simply asked: “Is this a joke?”

Mr Khan, who was re-elected as London’s Mayor last week, trumpeted the new campaign on Monday.

He said: “Our new campaign is bringing together many of the capital’s leading organisations and venues to offer an unparalleled experience for anyone visiting the capital throughout the year.

“With restrictions on international travel likely to continue this year, Londoners and visitors from the UK have a unique opportunity to experience all the capital has to offer without the queues.

“In doing so you’ll be providing vital support for our world-leading venues as they start to re-open and need our help more than ever.”

A spokesman for Mr Khan told Express.co.uk Mr Hockney had not been paid for his design.

Source: Read Full Article