Figures released by the Office for National Statistics on Tuesday suggested deaths in care homes accounts for around 40 percent of coronavirus-related fatalities registered in England and Wales in the week ending May 1. In the Commons, Mr Johnson announced a £600million investment coronavirus infection control in English care homes and admitted the number of deaths among residents has been “too high”. As he tried to defend his handling of the crisis, the Prime Minister insisted the number of infections and deaths in care homes is no “well down”.
But Sir Keir accused the Government of being “too slow to protect people in care homes”.
He then referred to official advice in place until March 12 which said it remained “very unlikely” that people in care homes would become infected.
Mr Johnson hit back: “No, it wasn’t true that the advice said that, and actually we brought the lockdown in care homes ahead of the general lockdown.”
He added: “And a huge exercise in testing is going on – a further £600 million, I can announce today, for infection control in care homes.
“And, yes, it is absolutely true that the number of casualties has been too high, but I can tell the House, as I told (Sir Keir) last week and indeed this week, the number of outbreaks is down and the number of fatalities in care homes is now well down.”
But the Labour leader has now written to the Prime Minister, demanding he return to the Commons to “correct the record”.
He wrote: “At this time of national crisis, it is more important than ever that Government ministers are accurate in the information they give.
“Given this, I expect you to come to the House of Commons at the earliest opportunity to correct the record and to recognise that this was official Government guidance regarding care homes.”
This is a breaking story. more to follow.
Source: Read Full Article