Washington protests: 'More violence will be coming' warns Walsh
Four people died and 52 have been arrested after armed supporters of US President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol building in a bid to overturn the result of the presidential election. It came as Democrat candidates won both Georgia senate elections, giving the party control of Congress. Mr Trump, who had given a speech earlier in the day claiming the election had been stolen, later called on his violent supporters to go home – but told them “I love you” and described those who stormed the Capitol complex as “patriots”.
Several of the President’s social media accounts have been blocked, Washington is under curfew, a number of top officials in the White House have quit and Cabinet secretaries are discussing invoking the 25th amendment, according to reports.
And still, Mr Ellwood tells Express.co.uk that things could get worse.
He said: “The fact that he is failing to share information – as he is duty-bound to do – suggests he has something up his sleeve and he is going to go out with a bang.
“Whether that’s connected with some formal intervention in Iran, or something else, that’s difficult to know.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
“But there is enough nervousness in Washington that former defence secretaries on both sides of the aisle have collectively called it out.
“The military should not be used in any manner – whether that’s domestically to stop Trump from leaving the building, or pursuing a last-ditch foreign policy which could be problematic for the incoming administration.”
Tehran began enriching uranium up to 20 percent and seized a South Korean tanker in Gulf waters this week – two steps that were believed to have been taken to revive the nuclear deal that Washington scrapped in 2018 under the Trump administration.
But experts now fear Mr Trump could take “reckless and erratic” military action against Iran during his final days in the White House before Joe Biden is inaugurated on January 20.
Mr Ellwood, who is Conservative MP for Bournemouth East, believes Mr Trump is lining himself up for a potential re-election bid in 2024.
He added: “He did the same with North Korea, but I think it will be more specific about what he wants to achieve.
“He is conscious of his own legacy, it’s a real embarrassment for any American President not to secure a second term.
“He will be looking to do something that puts him in good stead to potentially pick the presidency back up in four years.
“I think it will be a show of strength.”
Yesterday’s violence brought a halt to a congressional debate over Mr Biden’s election win.
World War 3: The single ‘greatest threat to democracy’ [REVEALED]
WW3 preparation: Where billionaires are building underground bunkers [PICTURES]
China left scrambling over Taiwan independence: ‘We will go to war!’ [EXPLAINED]
In the House and Senate chambers, Republicans were challenging the certification of November’s election results before they were evacuated.
Before the violence, Mr Trump had addressed supporters on the National Mall in Washington, just two miles from the Capitol building.
He said: “We will never give up. We will never concede.
“Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore.”
Speaking from Delaware, the President-elect urged Mr Trump to “fulfil his oath and defend the Constitution and demand an end to this siege”.
He added: “It’s not a protest – it’s insurrection.
“The world’s watching. I am genuinely shocked and sad that our nation, so long the beacon of light and hope for democracy, has come to such a dark moment.”
Mr Trump has since been suspended from both Twitter and Facebook – and YouTube removed a video he posted.
Twitter said it required the removal of three tweets for “severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy”.
The company added that the President’s account would remain locked for good if the tweets were not removed.
Meanwhile, Facebook banned his page for 24 hours “because on balance we believe it contributes to rather than diminishes the risk of ongoing violence”.
Facebook also said it is currently looking for and removing content that incited or supported the storming of Capitol Hill.
The march is believed to have been partly organised online, including on Facebook groups and pages.
Both chambers of Congress reconvened at 8pm to debate and vote on objections to electoral vote counts.
Vice President Mike Pence, who had earlier dismissed the President’s calls to unilaterally reject electoral votes, condemned the “unprecedented violence and vandalism” at the Capitol.
Source: Read Full Article