Erdogan lashes out at ‘racist’ France after Champions League game abandoned in Paris

Champions League: PSG and Istanbul leave pitch after racism row

Yesterday the Champions League game between Paris St. Germain (PSG) and Istanbul Basaksehir was abandoned after both teams walked off the pitch in protest over allegations the fourth official used a racial slur against an assistant coach. Istanbul players led the move, after it was claimed Pierre Webo, Basaksehir’s assistant manager, was called a racist term. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has responded to the news with fury.

He said the racist incident showcased a new expression of racist trends in France.

President Erdogan told a news conference in Ankara, the Turkish capital: “This approach is unforgivable. Our determined stance will continue.

“France has become a country where racist rhetoric, actions are intensified.”

He added on Twitter: “We are unconditionally against racism and discrimination in sports and in all areas of life.”

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

During Tuesday’s game, match official Sebastian Coltescu was accused of using racist language towards Mr Webo after he was given a red card and sent off.

The former Newcastle and Chelsea striker Demba Ba led the Turkish side’s protests before the team decided to leave the pitch at Parc des Princes in Paris.

The Istanbul forward, who was a substitute, could be seen on the touchline asking the official: “Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say ‘this black guy’?”

Istanbul players then walked off the pitch in protest, with PSG players following.

JUST IN: When will PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir resume amid racism claim?

TV footage also showed PSG defender Presnel Kimpembe saying: “Is he serious? We are heading in. We’re heading in. That’s it, we’re heading in.”

The Turkish football club posted on Twitter: “Our players has taken a decision NOT TO go back on the pitch after our Assistant Coach, Pierre Webo has been exposed to racist behaviour by the fourth official.”

The incident happened just 14 minutes into the Group H tie.

No goals had been scored by either side.

DON’T MISS:
PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir rescheduled after alleged racist remark [DETAILS]
Paris in flames: Protesters set car on fire in furious riots [VIDEO]
Turkey lashes out at ‘provocative’ Greece as tensions soar in east Med [INSIGHT]

It took about two hours before officials confirmed the game would not be finished on Tuesday.

During that time, PSG players could be seen warming up in the tunnel awaiting a resumption, but their opponents did not re-emerge.

The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) agreed the game could resume on Wednesday from the 14th minute.

Kick-off will be at 5.55pm (GMT).

A new set of officials will be in charge, with Dutchman Danny Makkelie appointed referee.

Compatriot Mario Diks and Marcin Boniek of Poland are the assistant referees with another Pole, Bartosch Frankowsky, named fourth official.

In a statement, UEFA said: “Uefa has – after discussion with both clubs – decided on an exceptional basis to have the remaining minutes of the match played tomorrow with a new team of match officials.

“A thorough investigation on the incident that took place will be opened immediately.”

Source: Read Full Article