Footballer used Snapchat to track and smash teammate’s jaw in ex-girlfriend row

A footballer fractured his teammate's jaw after discovering he had kissed his ex-girlfriend and had tracked him down using Snapchat.

Efan Treharne, 20, punched Lewis Marsh to the head in an unsuspecting assault from behind following a training session for Brynna FC on September 8 last year.

The victim was knocked to the ground with blood streaming from his mouth as Treharne stood over him and shouted "Don't f****** disrespect me" at Bridgend College's Pencoed campus, WalesLive reports.

Mr Marsh was left needing an operation to insert metal plates and screws in his jaw, which had suffered a number of fractures.

Cardiff Crown Court on Friday heard the defendant and Mr Marsh had known each other for 10 years and had previously played together at Brynna FC.

But they fell out after the victim kissed Treharne's then ex-partner in August 2020, and he sent him an Instagram message saying they needed to have a chat.

Prosecutor Rebecca Griffiths said Treharne found Mr Marsh's whereabouts from the Snapmap feature on Snapchat and drove to Bridgend College where he lay in wait for the victim to finish training.

As Mr Marsh opened his car boot and began removing his football boots, he was assaulted by Treharne.

Mr Marsh described being in extreme pain and was admitted to Morriston Hospital in Swansea to receive treatment for face swelling.

He later returned to hospital where he was diagnosed with a fractured jaw which required an operation and metal plates to be inserted.

  • Killer mimics James Bulger's voice as he recalls toddler's words being kidnapped

Following the attack, Treharne messaged his victim and apologised.

He said: "I hold my hands up and apologise for the way I went about things. It should not have happened like that at all".

He ended the message with a "thumbs up emoji".

In a victim personal statement read out to the court, Mr Marsh said: "I keep thinking if this is going to happen to me every time I kiss a girl. I found myself looking over my shoulder and being worried, thinking this could always be in the back of my head.

"I have suffered extreme injuries which are life changing. I'm scared of (Treharne) and I am worried he will look for me again."

The defendant, of Pant y Ffynon, Pencoed, was arrested and made full admissions in his police interview, describing himself as "being in a bad place".

He later pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

Sentencing, Recorder Dyfed Thomas said: "Quite certainly the background to this case allows you no excuse whatsoever. Normal people, when they hear of something bad happening in their lives, don't go and assault the person responsible."

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Treharne was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment suspended for 18 months and was made subject of a restraining order for three years.

He was also ordered to carry out a 30 day rehabilitation activity requirement, 180 hours unpaid work, and ordered to pay compensation of £2,000 to Mr Marsh and court costs of £250.

Source: Read Full Article