Man admits he killed schoolboy Harley Watson, 12, in Essex hit-and-run

The man arrested for the hit and run killing of 12-year-old Harley Watson in Loughton, Essex, has today pleaded guilty to manslaughter by diminished responsibility.

Terence Glover, 51, also pleaded guilty to the attempted murders of a Raquel Jimeno, 23, and six boys and three girls aged between 12 and 16, in a remote hearing via video link at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Harley died at Whipps Cross University Hospital in east London on December 2, 2019, after a Ford Ka driven by Glover ploughed into a group of people outside Debden Park High School, in Loughton.

  • Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today

Coroners' officer Lynsey Chaffe told the court: "On the 2nd December 2019 Master Harley Watson was stuck by a vehicle on Willingale Road.

"He was immediately conveyed to Whipps Cross Hospital were unfortunately despite best efforts his death was confirmed at 16.43pm."

A post-mortem examination was carried out on December 6th with cause of death provisionally given as "severe head injury".

Glover denied a charge of murder. Crown prosecutor Christine Agnew said that the defendant “had suffered an abnormality of the mind” at the time of the incident.

She added: “That decision has been explained at length to the parents of Harley Watson.”

Harley’s mother, who attended the hearing, wept as Glover entered his plea.

A statement from Harley’s family read at the time: “We are so devastated by what has happened. Harley was a good, kind, helpful and lovely boy.

“We would like to thank everyone for their kind wishes and concern. However as a family we would like people to respect our privacy and allow us to grieve in peace.”

Dozens of well-wishers have donated to a fundraising page in his memory, so far raising more than £58,000.

Glover will return to court for sentencing on January 8, after psychiatric reports have been completed.

Source: Read Full Article