Man declared dead before being found alive in morgue freezer dies 5 days later

A man who woke up in a morgue after being declared dead following a motorcycle accident died five days later.

Srikesh Kumar, 40, was dubbed a “miracle” after waking up in a hospital mortuary freezer just six hours after doctors declared him dead.

However, after shocking both staff and relatives with his will to live, he later fell into a coma and tragically died just five days later.

Kumar, an electrician, died after suffering internal bleeding in his head following his motorcycle accident in Moradabad, which is east of New Delhi.

His death was confirmed on Tuesday night at the Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial (LLRM) medical college in Meerut.

Speaking to the Times of India, his brother Satyanand Gautam: “My brother fought for his life but lost the battle after five days. He wanted to live.

“He showed signs of recovery as he used to respond whenever we called his name. His vitals were normal. However, he had a clot in his brain.”

The motorcycle accident left Kumar in a critical condition, where doctors originally declared him dead after finding no heartbeat.

  • Google Maps user spots 'ironic' pic of car crashed into vehicle licence centre

It was a family member who noticed Kumar was moving when they came to sign documents to allow an autopsy to take place.

Kumar's sister-in-law Madhu Bala noticed him moving and cried out “he’s not at all dead”.

She later added by speaking to local reporters: “We will lodge a complaint against the doctors for negligence as they almost killed Srikesh by putting him in a freezer.”

For the latest breaking news and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Rajendra Kumar, the hospital's medical superintendent, previously hailed Kumar's recovery as a "miracle" and stated it was the “rarest of rare cases”.

He said: “The emergency medical officer had seen the patient at 3 a.m and there was no heartbeat. He had examined the man multiple times.

“Thereafter, he was declared dead but, in the morning, a police team and his family found him alive. A probe has been ordered. Our priority is now to save his life."

He also added that because it was such a rare occurrence that “we can't call it negligence”.

Source: Read Full Article