Man stabbed stranger to death with bayonet in front of horrified onlookers

A man has admitted killing a complete stranger in a frenzied bayonet attack.

Cornelius Tully pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey yesterday, Tuesday September, 14, to the manslaughter of Michael Morris-Owens in November last year.

CCTV footage showed Mr Morris-Owens sitting on a bench in St Mary’s cemetery in Kensal Green, northwest London at about 2pm on November 22 when he was approached by Tully.

The court heard that Tully had walked over to the victim and started chatting to him. But then, without warning Tully stabbed the 62-year-old a number times.

Mr Morris-Owens was then seen trying to get away from Tully and attempting to get into a nearby car. Sadly, Tully reached him before he could get inside the vehicle.

Bystanders who witnessed the attack tried to help the victim but were unsuccessful. By the time police arrived Mr Morris-Owens’ had suffered some 30 stab wounds.

Armed firearms officers quickly arrived on the scene and found Tully with blood on his hands. A large knife was recovered and taken for forensic testing.

You can sign up to receive the latest crime news stories – and much more – by clicking here.

Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin, of the Specialist Crime Command, said: "This was a shocking and unprovoked attack on a man who had little chance of defending himself."

"Tully stabbed the victim more than 30 times in front of a number of members of the public who attempted to stop the attack," she added. "I would like to praise them for their bravery.

"While today's conviction does not bring Michael back, I hope it does give his friends and family some closure as they continue to come to terms with his tragic death."

Originally charged with murder, Tully, 50, admitted to the lesser charge of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Tully, from Brent in, north-west London, is currently being kept at Three Bridges secure hospital – a specialist mental health facility which looks after men who pose a risk to themselves or others

Judge Anthony Leonard has adjourned the case, and Tully will be returned to court on October 29 for sentencing.

Source: Read Full Article