Meghan and Harry mark anniversary as most Brits call for titles to be stripped

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are celebrating their third anniversary together after exchanging their vows in 2018.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are likely to mark their milestone privately at their Californian home after stepping down as senior royals last year and moving across the Atlantic.

As their anniversary appears, following their glittering ceremony on May 19, 2018, a poll has revealed more than four in 10 people think they should lose their titles.

Just 18 months after tieing the knot, the Sussexes travelled to North American with their son Archie and have not returned to their home back in the UK.

A YouGov poll carried out on Monday found that 44% of 4,567 adults questioned thought the couple should no longer be a duke and duchess.

20% of respondents believed they should be able to keep their titles but not use them, while 17% said they shouldn't lose or stop using them.

The remaining 20% said they didn't know how they felt.

  • Prince Harry is 'close to well of public sympathy being tapped dry', royal expert claims

Public opinion on the pair in Britain since their explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey has shifted in recent months following recent polls.

Meghan, 39, and Harry, 36, spoke about the difficult experiences they faced after getting married and the duchess alleged a senior member of the royal family made a racist remark about Archie's skin colour before he was born.

  • Prince Harry 'demanding Meghan Markle be part of Diana ceremony or he won't come'

Days after the bombshell chat, Buckingham Palace said issues raised in the programme would be 'dealt with privately as a family' and Prince William said the royals were 'very much not racist'.

Prince Harry returned to the UK to attend the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral in April and was snapped speaking with brother, Duke of Cambridge, moments after the ceremony.

In a few days time, Harry and Meghan will appear in the first episode of the duke's mental health documentary series with Oprah Winfrey, on Apple TV+, called The Me You Can't See.

The series, which begins on Friday, sees Harry tell Winfrey: "To make that decision to receive help is not a sign of weakness. In today's world, more than ever, it is a sign of strength."

Footage of the young prince during the funeral procession for his mother, Princess Diana, featured in a trailer for the show.

It comes after Harry sat down to chat about royal life on the Armchair Expert podcast where he said he wanted to "break the cycle" of "genetic pain and suffering" for the sake of his own children.

He said dad Prince Charles 'treated him the way he was treated', adding "so how can I change that for my own kids?"

Harry and Meghan are expecting a daughter in the summer.

Source: Read Full Article