Meghans birthday project was bit of a bust after radio silence, says expert

As Meghan Markle gears up to celebrate her 41st birthday tomorrow (August 4), one royal expert looked back on the campaign she launched to mark her last birthday – calling the effort "a bit of a bust".

The Duchess of Sussex famously released a video last year announcing the 40×40 campaign – in which 40 of her friends would give up 40 minutes of their time to encourage women hoping to get back into the workplace.

However, royal expert and host of the podcast To Di For Daily Kinsey Schofield wasn't convinced by the efforts.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle sent 'thank you' cards with candid photo for fans wishing happy birthday

"I think Meghan's 40×40 campaign was a bit of a bust," she said.

"But it's hard to evaluate it without hearing or seeing any of the results. Perhaps she's playing the long game and we'll get updates this year."

The campaign video Meghan released last year seemed promising to many, featuring a cameo by Melissa McCarthy and promising to create a 'ripple effect' after many women around the world lost their jobs due to Covid.

However, Kinsey argues that as the campaign has seemingly ended in "radio silence", it hasn't had the desired effect.

"The intention was great but I think the execution was not," she continued.

"They should have followed up with unique stories about the elite mentors participating, what the women being mentored learned in the process.

"Did they get any professional opportunities because they were mentored by someone Meghan knows? That is great press."

She added: "To go radio silent makes it feel like they tried something, it didn't take off, let's pretend it didn't happen."

To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.

Now, as Meghan's 41st birthday approaches, speculation has arisen as to whether she will launch another campaign.

And Kinsey thinks that whether she does or not could be a telling sign as to whether 40×40 went to plan – or whether it flopped, as the royal expert currently believes.

Kinsey said: "If there is not a new initiative launched for Meghan's birthday this year then I think it's a clear indication that she wasn't pleased with the results of last year."

READ NEXT:

  • Kate Middleton and Prince William 'whisked kids to private island for summer holiday'

  • Meghan left struggling with wedding dress after being 'rude' to military escort, author claims

  • Sussexes not repaying 'sweet' birthday wishes to Meghan is 'nothing personal' to royals

  • Queen's 'favourite grandchild' who reminds her of herself spotted in rare outing

Source: Read Full Article