A teenager who claims she was raped by 30 men at a hotel has been placed under police guard following violent threats – and an offer to send her footage of the alleged attack.
The victim was assaulted while drunk in at the Red Sea Hotel in Israel’s coastal resort of Eilat, according to police.
She approached officials last Friday, and two suspects aged in their 20s have since been arrested.
The girl, who had arrived at the resort earlier this month, was not a guest at a hotel and was instead spending time with her girlfriends and some of their male friends.
She needed to use the bathroom, and was then taken to a hotel room and raped, police said.
The victim’s social media profiles since have been leaked online and police have stepped up security around her house.
A special investigative team has also asked to move her to a safe location, The Jerusalem Post reports.
The victim yesterday told police that one of the men offered to send her a video of the incident.
An unnamed individual who had met with the girl’s family told the Ynet news site: “The most difficult thing for her is the uncertainty about the photos.
“She is afraid that her photos have been distributed. She is just a girl who went to Eilat to spend time with friends.
Robots given '72 times more power' after breakthrough battery upgrade
“She is in a bad mental state, but there are a lot of professionals around her along with her family members. It is a warm and loving family that does not leave her alone for a moment.
“She is a good girl and an excellent student. They took advantage of her when she was in a bad situation.”
The hotel owner claims the attack could not have happened in the way it was described.
Pnina Maman told the N12 news service: “There is no proof that it happened here. If something happened at the level of 30 people, we would have noticed and we would not have let it happen.”
Man rushed to hospital after 'being shot twice in the street'
She added: “There were never 30 people in the hallways. We checked all the cameras. There was no gathering.”
Thousands of Israelis last night protested at 30 locations across the country, chanting “I believe you” and “You are not alone”.
Following the attack, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tweeted: “This is shocking, there is no other word.
UK's coronavirus R rate now above 1 as four regions of England see rise
“This is not only a crime against the girl, this is a crime against humanity itself that is worthy of all condemnation and those responsible must be brought to justice.”
Defense Minister Benny Gantz added: “From yesterday afternoon, I’ve been trying, and failing, to understand: What is a man who is standing on a crowded line with dozens of others, on the way to a room where a young, disoriented girl is lying down, trying to prove?”
“The police investigation is still under way, but it’s important that I convey a message to those who participated or bore witness to this case or others: The only thing you’ve proven is what depravity of your soul and morality you are capable of.
“Before the criminal aspect, there is a moral soul-searching that must be done here. And to the complainant, it’s important that I say: My heart is with you, you are not alone.”
Source: Read Full Article