We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
The country has strict rules in place stating anyone caught “viewing, reading or listening to content provided by a media outlet based outside the country” risks being sent to concentration camps where abuse is rife and conditions inhumane, according to Reporters Without Borders. Kim Yo-jong, who is becoming an increasingly prominent adviser to the dictator, insisted she received special permission from her brother to watch the celebrations. On Friday, she released a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency to pour cold water on rumors of another meeting between Kim Jong-un and Donald Trump ahead of the US presidential elections in November.
But Kim also said she requested and even received special permission from her brother to watch DVDs of the US Independence Day celebrations.
Referring to her older brother, she added in her statement: “I’m trying to personally obtain DVDs on US Independence Day events from now on, and I’ve also gotten approval from the Chairman for that.”
Kim, who was tipped as a potential successor to her brother during his recent unexplained absence from the public eye, insisted she did not want to write a dismissive letter to the US.
Kim added: “North Korea has no intention of harming the US. Kim Jong-un has made this clear to Trump.”
But despite the seemingly warm tone to President Trump and the US, she was clear North Korea has no intention of taking part in further face-to-face talks with Washington officials this year.
She said in her statement: “Given the differences in opinion between the two countries, it wouldn’t be beneficial or necessary for the two sides to meet unless there is a decisive change in the U.S. stance toward North Korea.
The sister of the North Korean leader said in her personal opinion, there is unlikely to be another summit between the two world leaders, but added “a surprise thing may still happen,” according to news agency KCNA.
Kim Jong-in and Donald Trump held a historic meeting last year, which the US President and his allies touted as the beginning of denuclearisation and sanctions relief.
But talks between the two global superpowers have collapsed, with North Korea now regularly carrying out weapons tests.
Pyongyang has followed requests to refrain from intercontinental ballistic missile and nuclear weapon tests.
But last month risked escalating tensions after attacking an inter-Korean liaison office in the border city of Kaesong.
Despite the seemingly frosty relationship between the US and North Korea, a meeting between Kim Jong-un and President Trump is still a slim possibility.
North Korea calls for ‘maximum alert’ over coronavirus as fears grow [COMMENT]
North Korea ‘locking classroom doors’ in bid to prevent COVID spread [REPORT]
China warning: Huge majority say Beijing is biggest threat to West [POLL]
South Korean President Moon Jae-in has spoken in favour of another leaders meeting before the US elections in November.
Earlier this month, former National Security Adviser John Bolton said Mr Trump might deliver an “October surprise” in the form of another North Korean summit.
This week, the US President appeared keen on this, and said: “I understand they want to meet, and we would certainly do that.”
US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun, who has led the previous engagement between the two countries, visited South Korea earlier this week for the first time this year.
He also said the White House remains open to further talks with Pyongyang.
But the North Korean dictator’s sister Kim echoed remarks from other officials in the country in rejecting the idea of this happening.
Source: Read Full Article