A teenager has urged young people to stay away from fireworks after his finger was blown off, causing life-changing injuries.
Sean Redmond, 17, recalls the moment a firework went off on his hand and left him without the tip of his finger., reports Irish Mirror.
The teenager from Dublin was rushed to hospital when the 'hot eight" firework malfunctioned and left him with the grisly injury.
He is now urging young people to listen to their parents, because anything can happen when dealing with the illegal explosives.
He said: "Every year my mam has told me, and everyone has been telling us, not to play with fireworks because something could happen.
"But you don't feel it's going to happen to you and you always do it. You'll never know the real dangers and why your mam is telling you not to do it until it happens to you."
Sean was in Palmerstown with some friends on Monday evening when they bought "hot eights" – a new firework that blasts off eight shots in a row.
The teen was holding one of the devices in his hand when things began to go wrong.
"I took one out of the packet and let off seven shots then on the eighth shot I just saw sparks at my face like what it would normally do in the air," he said.
"I started running and when I turned back around my friends told me my hand was bleeding.
"I had my hands underneath my armpits and they felt like they were burning.
"They were really hot but I didn't know what had happened to my finger because I was in shock.
"I took my hand out and on my left arm my tracksuit was melted into the side of my arm. Then my friends told me to look at my right hand and the top of my finger was gone and my thumb was tilted to the right."
A kindly neighbour called an ambulance and Sean was raced to Connolly Hospital where doctors carried out emergency surgery.
The west Dublin lad will be left with a permanent and painful reminder of his mistake as he has lost the tip of the index finger on his right hand.
Doctors have told him he will recover in the next few months but he is likely to suffer pain in the finger as he gets older and during cold weather.
Source: Read Full Article