Two teenage killers jailed over murder of autistic boy, 13, stabbed in ambush

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Two teenagers have been jailed for their roles in the murder of Olly Stephens.

On Friday two 14-year-old boys were sentenced at Reading Crown Court to 13 years and 12 years respectively in a young offenders institution for the murder of the autistic boy.

Olly, 13, was lured to Bugs Bottom fields in Emmer Green, Reading on January 3 when he was ambushed by two teenage boys.

One of the boys, who was 13 at the time, started fighting Olly before the second boy drew a knife.

Olly was stabbed twice, once 9cm deep into the chest and once to the back, 17cm deep.

He died shortly afterwards despite the efforts of paramedics and a member of the public to save him.

Olly thought he was meeting a girl to get some tobacco but was confronted by the two boys.

The boys were convicted by a jury at Reading Crown Court in the summer of this year.

The court was told how both boys had “grievances” with Olly.

A girl, who did not stand trial, previously admitted a manslaughter charge and perverting the course of justice.

The two boys and girl, all now aged 14, cannot be named for legal reasons.

In a statement following the trial, Olly's family said: ”He made people laugh, he could dance with the best of them, and he gave his love freely.

“His sense of humour and his wicked comic timing had us and his friends in stitches many a time.

“He was warm, kind, soulful, a deep thinker and a great carer to those around him.

“He was loyal and trusted people to a fault.

“He would never back down from a fight, he would defend those that couldn’t or wouldn’t defend themselves.”

As reported by Berkshire Live, speaking in July after the teens were convicted, Charles White, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said “Olly was the victim of a violent and senseless attack, which tragically left him with fatal injuries".

“Our case was that the three teenagers had planned the attack together and the two boys, armed with a knife, set out to the park intending to cause Olly serious harm.

To keep up to date with all the latest news stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

“All three disposed of evidence linking them to Olly’s death including shared videos and messages, but their digital footprint proved to be their undoing.

“The evidence retrieved from their phones and social media accounts played a vital part in the case we presented to the jury, which has today found both boys guilty of Olly’s murder.”

  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article